Thursday 5 December 2013

Golf and christianity

In the game of golf, when striking the ball it is very important not to look up to admire where you think the ball may end up. If you prematurely lift your head and take your eye off the ball as you are about to strike the ball you will likely affect your swing and the result will not be as desired. You may duff the ball and see it go only several yards in the grass instead of that 300 yard arcing drive that you were hoping for.

I was thinking about my relationship with God and drawing a similarity, when I take my focus off of him, my overall joy suffers. Similarly to taking my focus off of the ball and looking to see where it may land, when I worry about my future I am taking my eyes and focus off of God and the present.

Click on song link:
Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus by Alan Jackson

The other parallel with the game of golf is that often the harder you try, the worse your game gets. Golf is all about relaxing and technique. So seems the Christian life, when we relax in the arms of Jesus and allow him to work in and through us, the results are much better.

Click on song link:
I Surrender - Hillsong Live

Matthew 16:24 (http://www.biblegateway.com)

New International Version (NIV)
24 Then Jesus said to his disciples, “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me.


Click on song link:
Lead me Lord- Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir

No comments:

Post a Comment