Tuesday 20 November 2012

Gossip, what the heck is it?

Definition of Gossip (according to Webster)

a person who habitually reveals personal or sensational facts about others
 rumour or report of an intimate nature 
 
I have done it, but why? Do I do it out of curiosity? Sometimes I do it in the name of love? I share something and say, but I am praying for them. I may do it to try and get to the root of something.
 
I am ashamed at how much of my conversation would fall under the above definition, are you? How can we stop the gossip train, since we are all prone to it, perhaps we have to help each other out by cautioning each other when a non productive conversation starts. Perhaps prayer would help. Maybe the 1st few prayers would be uttered between clenched teeth:).
 
Its tough in a world that participates in it so much, to be different. Its very hard. Gossip is sold, it can be riveting?
 
The thing is it is downright hurtful. I have hurt others by it and been hurt by it. Just now I was going to give an example but then realised I would be gossiping.
 
What does the bible say about gossip?
 
Proverbs 11:13
New International Version (NIV)
A gossip betrays a confidence, but a trustworthy person keeps a secret.
Proverbs 16:28
New International Version (NIV)
A perverse person stirs up conflict,  and a gossip separates close friends.
James 4:11
New International Version (NIV)
Brothers and sisters, do not slander one another. Anyone who speaks against a brother or sister or judges them speaks against the law and judges it. When you judge the law, you are not keeping it, but sitting in judgment on it.
Ephesians 4:29
New International Version (NIV)
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.

 
We are all looking for more time in a day, how much extra time would I have if I didn't gossip? How much better would things be for me if I only participated in productive conversations, ones that build each other up?
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment