Friday 2 November 2012

Part 15 - My little lady's health journey continued...

On Sunday June 19 (Fathers day) my girl wished me a happy fathers day, gave me a card and peanuts. She had been very  thoughtful and had her dad get these items.

At this point she was still very proper and factual and very emotionless.

She did 4 laps around her 6 south hospital wing, boy was she determined. We visited with  momma Ru and our kids in the waiting room. It went well, but my girl was concerned that our son did not come to her. You have to know our boy, he is very sensitive and affectionate, so keeping a distance makes a statement. Looking back, I am glad my girl noticed this, perhaps it drove her to close the gap. They had been apart for a month. It is also understandable that the kids were uncomfortable in a strange environment with not much to do and lots of strange sick people around.
My sister and husband paid a visit, they were still graciously staying at our house looking after the kids.
My wife's parents spent a lot of time at the hospital and were available to support us in any way they could. I was fortunate to have so many loving family members close by.
 My lady was very nervous about her scheduled June 22 surgery to close up her leg and then the 5 days that would follow. Bed rest would be required following the graft surgery to ensure that the graft caught. She needed to be reasonably still for 5 long days.

On Monday June 20 my girl  amazed physiotherapy with her review of her weekend walks. She did 2 laps on June 20 and went outside for 20min. They changed the dressing and at that time the June 22 surgery was confirmed.
One of my older brothers visited briefly, he was another person who had been a big encouragement. My wife was eating well, praying and giving her situation to God.

On Tuesday June 21 my special friend went outside briefly in the morning, she had the feed tube removed and visited with her brother in the afternoon. He had taken a lot of time off work to be a huge support. That day he was at the hospital to have his sons cast removed.
Our pastor came and prayed with my girl briefly in the hall before her feed tube  removal procedure (removed w/assistance of x-ray). The xray was required to remove it since it had been in so long. Typically they just pull it out. Our pastor had been a steady supporter and encourager.
My girl had peanut butter and chocolate chunk cookies and milk with her favourite floor 6 nurse, this was at at 11:30pm prior to the midnight no eat and drink deadline in preparation for surgery.
We prayed about the surgery, leaving it in God’s hands. My girl talked briefly about feeling as though she was not expressing emotion. This was encouraging, she was certainly very aware. She met with her social worker in the evening (the one we were so high on...joke joke).

By Wednesday June 22 my girl was showing more facial expression all the time. The doctors had been very worried about her lack of expression. During teeth brushing she mischievously said oops as she knowingly swallowed water (not supposed to drink before surgery). She had surgery at 4pm to close her leg and was out of recovery and back in her room by 7:30pm. Wow! I had fasted that day, figured if my wife couldn't eat, I didn't need to either. The surgeon said surgery went well. My girl was very alert after surgery, she even called 2 of her friends to chat.

On Thursday June 23 my little lady was recovering well from her surgery, in the evening she ate her 1st meal since her last surgery, her 10th in just over a month. She visited with her Mom and a good friend in the evening.

It was Friday June 24 and my girl was doing well with the bed rest, which needed to be maintained till June 28. She was however allowed to sit in a chair while she visited with our kids in the afternoon. After the kids left my poor girl had tears in her eyes, and again later when she mentioned this to her social worker. The social worker too was very happy with the emotional change, it was much better then a week ago. My special girl requested a Tim Horton’s turkey sandwich for supper, I delivered. Up till this point her taste buds were still adjusting, she had no desire for sweets and spicy food did not go down well. Her taste buds would take several months to return to normal, yet another thing we take for granted. We had a good visit with friends in the evening.

During this period of time my food intake consisted of more Tim Hortons then anyone should experience. It was convenient but boring!

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

New American Standard Bible (NASB)
Rejoice always; pray without ceasing; in everything give thanks; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.

Carrie Underwood - I'll Stand By You

Healing Rain is coming down...Singer Michael W. Smith

♫ "When The Tears Fall" - Tim Hughes ♫


 

No comments:

Post a Comment