Friday 19 October 2012

Part 7 - My little lady's health journey continued...


On Thursday May 19, 2005 at 6:30am I visited my special girl and she responded with nods of yes when asked, do you know I love you, do you know your beautiful and do you know you’re my special girl. We praised God that she was responding, that her blood work continued to improve and for the miracle we were all seeing. During the day she opened her eyes in response to talking and her kidney's were showing signs of working. Dialysis had been doing most of the work since May 13. The medics planned to reduce the respirator and sedation minimally and see how she responded to breathing more on her own.
On Friday May 20,2005 a female doctor started her shift for the week as the intensivist on duty. She was awesome. I spent the morning with the kids, which was important but still very hard for me. My wife's ventilator was reduced to 10 breaths/minute, the rest were her own, up to 20ish total. She was being weaned off the full time dialysis. She tried to mouth words which looked like I love you, where am I. Not being able to talk was painful. At this point the staff was very pleased with her progress prompting the intensivist to say she is a miracle.

On Saturday May 21, 2005, Nurse 1 was on duty. God always had her scheduled when my wife's condition was at its worst. My heart sank when I was made aware that my girls heart rate had accelerated again. Her temperature was also up prompting the intensivist to feel strongly that there is undetected infection. My visit with my boss was cut short by my mother in law running up the steps to get me. My brother in law came to the hospital and again we prayed. I signed off for yet another test to be done and a cats scan was preformed (with powder, to make things glow - could damage kidney’s) at approximately noon and no infection was showing. We would later find out that my wife's infection which would normally show as pockets of air on the scan, in her case did not show any abnormality, requiring surgery to investigate. The intensivist met with family in mid afternoon and again expressed her concern that there is unfound infection. We had all gathered to praise God for the miraculous recovery but instead were left seeking God for answers. What was his plan, my dear wife had been dead, a miraculous recovery had taken place and now what. Had we put too much faith in medicine and not in God. Why, why, why was God allowing this to happen? Had we not sought him, had we not completely given things to him, was there something he wanted from us or was he simply going to take my girl home. Our hearts were in anguish as we cried out for mercy and that my wife's life be spared if it be his will. It had been such a draining week and we were all showing our weariness.

More than a week had gone by and the only way I could hear my girls voice was on our answering machine.

More to follow......

No comments:

Post a Comment