Saturday 13 October 2012

Part 4 - Friday the 13th


It was Friday the 13th, a day after my wife’s 40th birthday and life changing diagnosis. Her mom and I traveled to the hospital together. We did not know that the routine there included rounds at 9 so we were unable to see her. We went for coffee and during that time my best friend and wife went into septic shock. The poison had entered her blood stream and stopped her heart. The medics worked vigorously on her for over an hour and eventually she was stable, but on life support. We had no idea this was going on until we tried to enter ICU and were informed………my wife was very near death and in fact had been, but was revived……….Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. Psalm 23:4 New International Version (NIV).

What a completely helpless feeling it is when there appears to be nothing you can do for someone you love. Frantically and with tears flowing we called family, our Pastor and friends. These people would form our support for the next period of time. It was an unbelievably tense day of praying, giving thanks for each small glimpse of hope and praying. We were told that the next 24 hrs were critical. The doctors don’t forewarn of the probable outcomes, such as your wife may be a vegetable, they too are hoping for the best. That day was the start of our dependence on prayer, it was all we had, no other hope existed, her life was in God’s hands. We didn’t think, we just acted and praying seemed like the natural thing to do.

1 Peter 5:7 NIV
Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.

Looking back, God was defiantly in control, the doctors were doing rounds and were all at my wife’s bedside when she cardiac arrested. This meant that they were able to pay her immediate attention. My large family was all readily available since they had been off work attending a funeral.

We cast (prayed) a lot that day………….

I slept at the hospital that night, something I would do for 2 months straight. The bed was a vinyl pink lounge chair that extended out into a bed. It was a gem?
 
More to follow.............

No comments:

Post a Comment