Monday 8 October 2012

Facing my own mortality


Facing my own mortality

 

Mortality:

Is the state or condition of being subject to death; mortal character, nature, or existence.

 

As Christians our own mortality should not be a worry right? After all John 3:16 states, “ For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

What’s to worry, if we have accepted Jesus as our personal saviour, we will live with him forever and be free of this worlds troubles. From my own experience, until you are faced with your own mortality, you may not grasp what it really feels like. I know I didn’t. My wife has faced hers several times due to illness and in my bravado I would tell her we just need to trust God. I would refer to verses such as:

1 Peter 5:7 Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.

2 Corinthians 12:9 But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me

These are all great verses and very true, but what person does not want to see their kids grow up, get married and give you grandchildren and so on. What dad doesn’t want to walk his daughter down the aisle? What mom doesn’t want to be a doting grandmother? We all want to experience life right, or at least many of us do.

We all face our own mortality, but it becomes very real when you have a sickness and the doctor tells you how much longer you might expect to live. All of a sudden you realize all the things in life that you may miss out on.

While my prognosis looks quite good, it has given me a much better appreciation for those facing a bleak prognosis. As Christians we need to be sensitive to what each other faces realizing that the hurt, pain or fear is very real to what another person may be facing. It’s ok and effective to quote scripture compassionately, but we should be careful not to easily minimize or rationalize someone else’s situation. Sooner or later it will likely become our own, or at least a version of it. Whens it’s your one is when your words of wisdom offered to others are really put to the test.

No comments:

Post a Comment