Friday 26 October 2012

Guilt, it is has been my enemy

Guilt, it is one of our enemies and it can be a real thorn. It's that feeling that can reside even after I have apologized and been forgiven, that feeling Satan wants me to have ongoing for being to harsh with a coworker, my children or my spouse. Its that feeling I may have for not spending enough time with God, my wife or our kids. Guilt has combined with insecurity to make me second guess decisions.

Guilt (definition per dictionary.com)
A feeling of responsibility or remorse for some offence, crime, wrong, etc., whether real or imagined.

I have felt this for the above mentioned reasons, but also for other reasons. Over the past many years and through some tough experiences I have often looked for what does God want me to learn. I believe this is appropriate and even a biblically backed thinking, however Satan is right there ready to attack. He wants this desire, this good intention to be one that can never be fulfilled. He wants it to turn into a feeling of guilt. When we are trying to honour God, he wants us to feel guilty for not doing enough, not going to church enough, etc. Before we know it we are chasing our tail. Perhaps if you have had a number of challenging experiences, you can feel Satan guilting you into feeling you deserve them for not being obedient. My wife has felt this way at times, like she has been punished for a sin.
Satan is very cunning and he uses our good intentions and our experiences and very slowly before we know it he has taken that good intention and spun us into confusion. He makes us feel like we are never good enough. Yes we should strive as Paul suggests, but we must be careful not to give Satan a foothold. We should be obedient because we love God. Being obedient out of fear or guilt won`t last. For example if I guilt or fear my child into obeying, how long will it last.

Philippians 3:14
New International Version (NIV)
I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

Ephesians 4:26-27
New International Version (NIV)
“In your anger do not sin”: Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry, and do not give the devil a foothold.

 Enemies of the heart by Andy Stanley is a great read.

Hold Fast - Mercy Me

Josh Groban - You Raise Me Up

No comments:

Post a Comment