Monday 22 October 2012

Part 9 - My little lady's health journey continued...


On Friday May 27 the intensivist now on duty overseeing ICU is an anethesist, yet another way God was working in this and providing the right people at the right time. He administered my wife's first anesthetic and was a pain control expert. Thru prayer, the trial and error of the doctor's the right pain medication mix is found. Steady signs of improvement in my wife's vital signs followed.

On Monday May 30 my special girl was taken into OR to have a tracheotomy, a feeding tube put in thru her belly into her stomach, the outer leg is sown up, the inner leg is tidied up and vac dressing is put on the inner and groin openings. The surgeon was satisfied with findings – no further infection was noticed. You can imagine the anxiety during this whole experience but especially during the many tests and OR visits. Nerves were on edge.....what an exhausting grueling time in our lives.

On Tuesday May 31 my wife looked very peaceful and is communicative by mouthing words (not audible because of breathing tube). It had been allmost 3 weeks without speaking. She looks much better with the tubes out of her mouth and is much more comfortable. She still had very little idea as to what her journey had been, but gave a yes head shake when asked if she knew why she was in the hospital.

On Wednesday June 1 during my early morning visit my little lady gave a vigorous nod no, when asked if she is in pain. I went home to see the kids. The doctors witnessed my wife mouth the words my leg when asked the reason for being at hospital. The surgeon looked at the leg and is satisfied with the appearance of the flesh. My wife with Nurse 1's encouragement is helped into a stretcher chair. She is very emotional during her dad’s visit, mouthing disturbing things, and said to Nurse 1 please kill me. Nurse 1 talks to me about this and my wife's hallucinations and explains that this is normal. There are a few things about being in ICU that are very hard mentally, such as recovering from the heavy, heavy drugs that cause severe and extremly disturbing hallucinations and the fact that there is no night and day. There is no structure. My poor wife remembers some of these horrible hallucinations to this day (more than 7 years later). After much discussion and until further notice it is agreed to keep visiting to  minimum, just me, my mom and my wife's parents. This was very hard on members of the family and understandably so but it was critical that the message to our special lady was consistent and steady in comforting her. Since all but us were working, we were the most available to provide a consistant and constant message. Nurse 1 advised that I bring pictures and video of the kids, kid’s items including toys and freshly worn clothes in order to encourage my girl. She also suggested that we continue to tell her that we love her and that she has much to live for.

Although we had much joy over the miracle God had provided in my wife's health, it was still a very challenging journey with new challenges each day. We still did not know the impact of all of this on my wife and would later find out that there would be some permanant damage. Personally now that my girl was getting better I was also finding it harder to trust God with all things. It had been such a beutiful time of being close to God, a great experince and one that I obviously wish I could have (that closeness) without the horrible health experince.

Philippians 4:19
New International Version (NIV)
And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus.

Josh Groban - You Are Loved (Don't Give Up)

Bebo Norman - God Of My Everything

Newsboys - More Than Enough(2011)

No comments:

Post a Comment