Tuesday 3 December 2013

How quickly we turn our backs (Exodus 32:1-4)

We are not very patient are we? We so quickly lose faith and turn to other things, even idols for a source of comfort and strength. The Israelites even after the amazing display of power that they had witnessed from God, were so quick to grumble and turn on God. They do it yet again in the below passage.

Exodus 32:1-4 (http://www.biblegateway.com)
New International Version (NIV)
The Golden Calf
32 When the people saw that Moses was so long in coming down from the mountain, they gathered around Aaron and said, “Come, make us gods[a] who will go before us. As for this fellow Moses who brought us up out of Egypt, we don’t know what has happened to him.”
Aaron answered them, “Take off the gold earrings that your wives, your sons and your daughters are wearing, and bring them to me.” So all the people took off their earrings and brought them to Aaron. He took what they handed him and made it into an idol cast in the shape of a calf, fashioning it with a tool. Then they said, “These are your gods,[b] Israel, who brought you up out of Egypt.”

I don't think the Israelites are alone here. I can certainly see similarities in my own journey when rather than trust and wait on God, I have tried to determine my own path by putting my trust in other things, rather than clinging to an all knowing God.

My faith can be so fragile and fleeting.

How are you doing in the faith department

2 comments:

  1. I often find that my own busy life becomes my own god: the pride of accomplishing a bunch of tasks in one day. I try super hard to just be in this state of maximum efficiency. Sometimes I even wear this kind of life as a badge, feeling like I've accomplished something. But then I'm distracted from God, and it's difficult to remember him.

    Love this video though that talks about remembering God in the everyday. You really can see God in everything. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5FxdCgD-qI&feature=share&list=PL4E784EC0770935C0&index=15 Enjoy the video my friend! God bless and merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment really connected with where I am at, thank-you and thanks for the video

      Delete