Friday 4 January 2013

A happy worker (Matthew 20:9-15)

I have wondered many times about the below scripture, about what it means. Could it be that one of the lessons is that it is an owners right to pay as he or she sees fit?
 
Matthew 20:9-15
New International Version (NIV)
9 “The workers who were hired about five in the afternoon came and each received a denarius. 10 So when those came who were hired first, they expected to receive more. But each one of them also received a denarius. 11 When they received it, they began to grumble against the landowner. 12 These who were hired last worked only one hour,’ they said, ‘and you have made them equal to us who have borne the burden of the work and the heat of the day.’
13 “But he answered one of them, ‘I am not being unfair to you, friend. Didn’t you agree to work for a denarius? 14 Take your pay and go. I want to give the one who was hired last the same as I gave you. 15 Don’t I have the right to do what I want with my own money? Or are you envious because I am generous?’


How many times have I grumbled about my compensation and yet it would seem it is the owners right to give as he or she likes out of their finances. God will hold them accountable for being good stewards, for being gracious, merciful, etc.

1 comment:

  1. One of the books I read recently applies this to that of our salvation and grace. The workers who were at it all day felt they had earned it and the ones who only worked an hour knew they didn't, they needed grace. The promise of salvation is to all who believe, not all who have put in a full days work to earn it. And so it often is with our culture, and that also of Jesus' time, where the religous upright were angry with Jesus because they "did everything right" and he dispised them for their pride of ownership and keeping of laws and preferred to be with those who knew they didn't earn or deserve it. The biggest difficulty the Pharisees had was believing that they didn't deserve it (grace) as much as the worst sinner. When you level the playing field where everyone on earth is equally sinful regardless of circumstance, and no good deeds after salvation can increase or decrease it, now you have salvation that is truly available to all. And I now know how people can be saved who can't contribute, and this may be from the last hour confession to the severely handicapped, to the morally bankrupt, and they are equal to you and me as sinners in need of grace. And that is how God loves us, "not because of what I've done (both good or bad), but because of who You are"

    ReplyDelete