Monday 7 January 2013

Lost in a lill boat without a paddle & in a raging sea..

Recently I picked up a McLean's magazine and the heading read "the broken generation". It is very disturbing to read a report on our youth today that details their struggles to find their feet. Is it a shock though, I mean should it be? We send these kids off to post secondary school at age 17/18, many of them are on their own for the first time in their lives, possibly far away from home and having to fend for themselves against huge expectations. These could be ones they place on themselves. More commonly they are likely ones placed on them by their parents. So is it really a surprise that they struggle? Check out the article (below link), at the very least look at the numbers indicating the percentages of the student body relevant to the struggle.

Campus crisis: the broken generation

How have we prepared these kids up until they are aged 17/18? Have we given them a foundation, a basis point, a ground zero, something that they can return to as a place of solace, a source of strength when things get tough at school and in life? These kids not only face huge expectations, they face significant peer pressure to "live the university or college lifestyle". If they were not grounded when they got there, how will they survive?

I know people who went to college and university. Their faith was put to the test, "big time". Some persevered and others.....well they were like the seed planted in rocky terrain. Their foundation was swept away by the fast current of peer pressure, parent pressures, what life offers, etc.

How are we in today's society where many spouses both work, preparing our kids for life? Are we present in their lives? How are we teaching them the basic, but important principles of life so that they will survive the bumps in the road? Are we simply relying on others, be it at school or church to raise our kids?

That's not good enough!!!!

What are we doing to instill self esteem and confidence in our kids (the next generation)? What are we doing to foster and encourage them to not only know Godly values, but to embrace them and believe in them as their own?

Are we instilling in them the 4 values that they should develop by 16 and as are in the following acronym "RICH";
- Respect
- Independence
- Compassion
- Health

As I reflect on my own life, I was 21 when I lost my dad and had it not been for the foundation that my parents helped me with, the basis point, the faith in God......I would not have survived. They were hard, hard times.
Away at school I suspect that these kids face similar feelings, feelings of loneliness, hopelessness, peer pressure and so on.

I really feel for them, but as a parent what am I prepared to give up to make a difference in my kids? Will I give up "my time" to invest in my kids?

Kari Jobe - Steady My Heart
Kari Jobe - Find You On My Knees

Your Love Never Fails -Chris Quilala / Jesus Culture
Hillsong United - I Give you my heart
Came to my Rescue - Hillsong United

No comments:

Post a Comment