Sunday 30 December 2012

Ridiculously happy....

We live in a day and an age where quick fixes exist everywhere and happiness can be purchased. So why then are mood disorders rising at such an astronomical rate? Is it because illnesses are labelled much quicker then in years gone by or is it a real problem?

The results such as the rise in suicide numbers would suggest it is a real problem?

If it is due to chemical imbalances, then why are these on the rise? Is it what we eat, all that chemically induced stuff?

Are mood disorders on the rise because we are operating at a speed we were never built to run at, like a vehicle never intended to race in NASCAR? Is it because people do not know how to care for themselves, where to turn for inner happiness?

Some general depression statistics as per the below link;
Depression Statistics (25% of cancer patients experience depression)
- roughly seven of every one hundred people suffer depression after age 18 at some point in their lives.
- one in 33 children and one in eight adolescents have clinical depression. Suicide is the third leading cause of death for ages 10 to 24.
- most people diagnosed with major depression receive a diagnosis between their late twenties to mid-thirties.
- aprox. six million people are impacted by late life depression, but only 10% ever receive treatment.
- for every one man that develops depression, two women will, regardless of background or economic status.
- by year 2020, depression will be the 2nd most common health problem in the world.

 So if mood disorders are on the rise, what are we doing about it in our own lives, how are we caring for our selves, for our children in a manner that will help prevent the preventable cases of depression?
Happiness won't likely be found in a bottle of any shape or colour, in material things of any nature and it may not even be found in anti depressants. Anti depressants may be required and they may help, but should they be used as a first resort?

I have been on anti depressants, on and off, but mostly on for 5 years. The type I was on is known to be a very harsh type to introduce and to exit. While it helped deal with my anxiety in 2007 to 2010, even the physciatrist admitted that one can become immune to it and that they may no longer be the best fit for me. I went back on in 2011 when I was diagnosed with cancer, but my experience was not nearly as good. Perhaps the drug did not work well with my cancer meds, I don't know, but I do know that my second experience with the same anti depressant has been horrible.

Anti depressants gave me a relief period but they did not increase my tools, they did not add tools to my tool belt to deal with stuff, they simply relaxed me such that stuff did not bother me as much.  Is that bad, well not necessarily, but here I am now still having to deal with the same issues. So do I go on a new one now that the first one no longer works or do I try and deal with my anxiety through healthy eating, spirituality, professional council and a balanced life? Perhaps I will need a combination of the latter and anti depressants. In sport professionals are propped up to maintain their productivity, is that how society is too, do we take prescription anti depressants to keep going or do we address the root issues in our lives? Addressing the root issues may require changes we are not prepared to make, such as job changes affecting pay, etc. It may be that anti depressants address the root issue (chemical imbalance), but it may be that they just mask the pain felt by hard experience (s).

How can I become ridiculously happy? How can you be ridiculously happy?

If you are considering anti depressants, consider the risks, know what you are taking, know the side affects and I would encourage you to combine it with professional council and a balanced life.

The below link shows the long term side affects of the drug I have been on and I believe I have experienced some of these side affects;

Effexor Long-Term Side Effects

The below are more links showing the side affects for the anti depressant I have used;

Drug fact sheet

Drugs.com

Below are some additional helpful links concerning depression and anxiety

depressionhurts.ca

10 Things to Say (and 10 Not to Say) to Someone With Depression

Statistics Canada (mood disorders)

Famous Depressed People

No comments:

Post a Comment