Monday 24 December 2012

Am I driving with my lights on(Matthew 5:13-16/6:1-4)

Am I a light in a dark world? Am I doing enough? These are thoughts I have. I struggle with being a good witness at work or wherever I am. At my previous job as a project manager it was even harder. I managed projects for the fast moving, low margin, highly competitive, me first automotive world. Lying was a common occurance as customers did their best to get the most out of their supplier (which was me and the company I worked for). Many of our customers worked long hours and were away from home a lot. I remember taking a customer group out for dinner, it seemed like they could hardly wait till dinner was over and they could go to the local strip club. I didn't join them, but heard lots the next day as they boasted of their behaviour.

In the midst of the demands of  a day, whether it be with customers yelling and screaming at you, which I have had happen in my past work life, or whether it be with kids arguing at home, it is downright hard to be a light.
Yet this is what we are encouraged to do in the following scripture:
Matthew 5:13-16 says
New International Version (NIV)
Salt and Light
13 “You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled underfoot.
14 “You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. 15 Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. 16 In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.

So I ask myself, am I a light? I am saddedned to say I have participated in gossip, crude jokes and so on.....I gotta do a better job of being a light.

Sidewalk Prophets - "Live Like That"

Lord I Lift Your Name On High

No comments:

Post a Comment