Monday 31 December 2012

Is life cozy, comfy, should it be? (Matthew 10:37-39)

In North America we have become very comfortable with all of our conveniences. Many of us have way, way more then we had as children, which is not to say we all had it rough growing up. Many of us simply have so much more now. For example we may have had one TV as a child and now we have 2,3 or maybe 4. Some have TV's in the Kitchen, bedroom and in the rec room. The standard for everything is much higher. We consider some things necessities when they are just perks, nice to have items.
Is this wrong, well perhaps our lives of convenience have left little room for God. I know I am that way. For example watching TV seems easier then reading the bible or even a good book.

When things are going well, I feel pretty self sufficient and its a discipline to continue reading God's word, talking to him and growing as a Christian.

The below text is in respect to Jesus sending out the 12, but does it pertain just to them?

Matthew 10:37-39
The Message (MSG)
34-37 “Don’t think I’ve come to make life cozy. I’ve come to cut—make a sharp knife-cut between son and father, daughter and mother, bride and mother-in-law—cut through these cozy domestic arrangements and free you for God. Well-meaning family members can be your worst enemies. If you prefer father or mother over me, you don’t deserve me. If you prefer son or daughter over me, you don’t deserve me.
38-39 “If you don’t go all the way with me, through thick and thin, you don’t deserve me. If your first concern is to look after yourself, you’ll never find yourself. But if you forget about yourself and look to me, you’ll find both yourself and me.

Does this only pertain to the 12 or to us also? I am thinking that it also pertains to us since the great commission says:

Matthew 28:18-20
The Message (MSG)
18-20 Jesus, undeterred, went right ahead and gave his charge: “God authorised and commanded me to commission you: Go out and train everyone you meet, far and near, in this way of life, marking them by baptism in the threefold name: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Then instruct them in the practise of all I have commanded you. I’ll be with you as you do this, day after day after day, right up to the end of the age.”

No comments:

Post a Comment