Friday 28 December 2012

True and False Prophets (Matthew 7:15-23)

So just who is Jesus referring to when in the below verses he refers to True and False Prophets, when he says "Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven"? Is it me, you, who is it?  Is it the person I sit next to in church? Just who is Jesus referring to? Could it be possible that many believe they are Christians, that they will spend eternity with Jesus when in fact they will not? That's kinda what the verses seem to suggest isn't it.
 
Matthew 7:15-23
New International Version (NIV)
True and False Prophets
15 “Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves. 16 By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles? 17 Likewise, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. 18 A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit. 19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20 Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them.

True and False Disciples
21 Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ 23 Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’

What is actually meant when it says only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven, will enter the Kingdom? I believe in eternal security, however this Scripture and others suggest that we should not be sitting back in our lazy chairs. The bible says that are works will prove our faith.

Could it be that many of us think that saying "the prayer" was enough when in actual fact our works or lack there of prove that we do not have a faith?

No comments:

Post a Comment