Saturday 29 December 2012

A Great Foundation (Matthew 7:24-27)

The early parts of the book of Matthew give a lot of life direction. Mathew 7:24-27 is simply the wrap up encouraging us to build on a firm foundation.
 
For me this applies to so many aspects of my life, the foundation/example that I provide for my kids, the spiritual foundation my life and my home are built on.
 
What am I doing to build this foundation, is it built based on stable values or is it built on things that won't last?
 Is my foundation built to withstand the storms of life, my wife's past health scares, my cancer, raising young children while at the same time dealing with illness and its lasting impact, etc. or has it crumbled with the onslaught of these nasty storms? I can say without doubt that my foundation has been shaken, but I know too that I would not be where I am today if it were not for the foundation/example of my parents and grandparents.
These were people who led by example, who spent time each day in prayer and in God's word to reinforce their foundations with spiritual rebar that would withstand the many storms they faced including, the great depression, the loss of siblings, children exploring what life has to offer, my dad's alcohol abuse, my dad's cancer, his severe farm accident, my mom's life as a widow and much more.
 
So I ask myself, what am I doing to establish my foundation, to keep it in good shape? What are you doing?
 
Matthew 7:24-27
New International Version (NIV)
The Wise and Foolish Builders
24 “Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. 25 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. 26 But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. 27 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash.”

Firm Foundation

No comments:

Post a Comment