Wednesday 19 December 2012

Why did they give me the finger......

One of my learning's this year has been the realisation of how harshly I can judge people.
2012 was a year where people often remarked at how good I looked in spite of the fact I was going through treatment. For sure that was something to be thankful for. However the disparity or gap between how I looked on the outside and felt inside was huge and I mean huge.
What this has shown me is that if that gap resides in me, how many others have a similar challenge? How many others out there look like they have it together, but on the inside they are rotting? How many times have I responded to someone harshly with total disregard for what they have been or are going through?
We are all products, products of how we were raised, what we have been through and so on. Is it fair for me to judge someone for an outburst without realizing that the outburst probably has a root cause? Perhaps that person was abused, not loved, has suffered loss.....we don't know if we don't take the time to care, to show concern, empathy and love. At the least we could show compassion and whisper a prayer instead of saying something like "did you wake up on the wrong side of bed or what".

I am not suggesting that we should stop everyone on the highway who gives us the finger and say hey dude, I know there is something behind your anger, what's the root cause? I am suggesting though that in our close circles there is room for understanding, acceptance, love and compassion and for these tools to be used......in my case I need to use them more than I do.
Mark 12:31
New International Version (NIV)
31 The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’There is no commandment greater than these.”

We Fall Down - Chris Tomlin

Westlife - You Raise Me Up

No comments:

Post a Comment