Saturday 20 October 2012

Part 8 - My little lady's health journey continued...


On Sunday May 22, 2005 my wife's brother who had stayed the night awoke me in the early morning hours to sign a consent for yet another cat scan. I am so thankful for the people who stayed nights with me. Nurse 1 is on duty again. She feels that things have somewhat stabilized by giving my wife more fluids; however things do take another dreadful turn for the worse. My wife is taken for her 3rd infection removal surgery in the afternoon. Nurse 1 came to the little lonely waiting room at one point to say the infection had spread, the concern was that a rash on my wife's belly was the infection. How could things have gone so wrong, what was happening? What do you do when all hope is lost, you pray and pray we did, we cried out to God again giving him our lives and asking him to fulfil his purpose even if it meant taking my beautiful wife home. That is no easy prayer to pray!

Luke 22:42
New International Version (NIV)

“Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done.”

1 Thessalonians 5:17
New International Version (NIV)

pray continually,

The surgeon opened from the knee to the hip on the outside of the leg, they had already cut from the knee to groin on the inside. Another abductor muscle was removed. The surgeon was pleased with the outcome. The vac dressing was replaced with a normal dressing. The rash for the most part was gone. Wow, what an answer to prayers, a miracle! One of my dear brother's would later say that this was a very very hard day for him. None of us had experienced anything like this. He was very inspired to pray and we did a lot of casting all our anxieties to our all powerful God.

On Monday May 23 things were stable. I went home to see the kids in the morning. Various people were still staying the nights with me at that point.

On Tuesday May 24, 2005 the doctors took my wife into OR, they are happy with the sites and perform my wife's 5th surgery. They close up across the groin, from below the knee to groin on inside of leg and down the outside of the leg. They reintroduced the vac dressing.

On Wednesday May 25 I spent the morning with the kids. My wife's white cell count is as low as 9000, which is a great sign. It has been over 20,000. Early evening though nurse 1 noticed inflammation on the leg. We spent time pouring our hearts out to God again. A cat scan late evening revealed nothing new. I felt an incredible peace, but urge to pray for healing. Surgery was booked for early morning May 26. On Thursday May 26, 2 weeks into our journey an early morning surgery resulted in a 3rd  abductor muscle being removed from the left upper leg. At one point during surgery Nurse 1 said that the surgeon had found the source. Cultures were taken of the main muscle and sent for testing. The surgeon reported that he does not know if he found the source but that the surgery was successful. The groin and outer leg incisions were opened and the standard dressing was introduced instead of the vac dressing. We later found out that the main muscle was not infected. Thank-you Lord. I had been dreading the day when they would say they have to remove my wife's leg. An afternoon hip probe proved negative, a huge relief. The pain medication was altered and the results are being monitored.

Still my special girl was in a drug induced coma and had no idea what had happened to her. What a hopeless feeling to see your loved one in such a condition. Cards and what not had been pouring in, the encouragement was great, but the journey was excruciatingly painful and lonely. Most of my time was spent in the depressing basement of the hospital. Nothing makes up for or gets rid of the immense pain and agony you feel standing next to a silent body, one that had been healthy and vibrant, one that is your best friend, your partner, your closest teammate. The only thing I had experienced that was similar was being with my dad during his last days and watching him pass into eternity. Still we had faith, I had observed many less fortunate as I watched many a dead person being taken from ICU. What a painful thing to watch as people mourned the loss of young, middle aged and old. I had gotten to know some of the family's and would try and support them as best I could. It was an opportunity to share my faith.
 


More to follow.........

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your strength amazes me

    ReplyDelete