Wednesday 31 October 2012

Part 14 - My little lady's health journey continued...


On Tuesday June 14, 2005, with help my girl walked from her bed to a chair 3 separate times during the day. At this point I was having trouble with ICU withdrawal; getting use to one on 5 care instead of up to several on one is a huge change. Getting answers was very hard. I missed the ICU staff, many of whom I got to know over a month’s time. I was worried about my girl’s eyes, I was worried if she had brain damage (perhaps explain what this could have looked like). This was a very hard change.
Overall things were improving but there were still health hurdles. Never prayed much about stool before or since but we did pray that my wife’s diarrhea would stop, a week of that is a long time. God saw fit to stop it, PTL.
My girl and I prayed for peace following a nightmare. She got an interrupted 6hr sleep. She had bran for breakfast, soup for lunch, not much for supper and jellow for snack.
On Wednesday June 15 my girl had bran for breakfast, soup for lunch and stew with mash potatoes for supper. She had a busy, busy day, that included physiotherapy, walking to a chair in her room 2 times, she had the Vac dressing changed (surgeon said looks good) and she had the tracheotomy removed. I arranged for my girl to talk to her brother on the phone. I told my lady that a friend had read Max Lucado;s book “In the Eye of the Storm”, in one night during his visit here, she responded with God is working in and using this situation. We both prayed giving thanks for each other.
My girl was starting to give orders, a sign of normalcy, she was aware enough to stress to her mom to ensure our daughter was given Tylenol a 1/2hr before her June 16, 3mth needle appointment. Impressive!
On Thursday June 16, my wife was up several times during the night, she hated her air bed which had been given to her to minimize bed sores. At this point she was still seeing double, was taken off the catheter and with a walker she walked to the washroom and also used it several times during the night. Her walking was better each time. She was gaining some indepandance slowly.
I told her that our neighbour told me to give her a kiss for him but explained that I did not know how he kissed, she offered to show me. That was her humor showing up again!

Up to this point we had trusted God with so many things, her life, her health including the health of her kidneys, heart, brain function, lungs, etc., now that she was getting better it was harder to trust God but God had been so merciful and gracious to us. Why was it so hard? Looking back, the devil was really playing havoc. He knew I was tired and weak minded.

 On Friday June 17 my girl walked to the nurses station (aprox 20 or 30 feet). This had exceeded physiotherapy's goal of making it into hallway by June 17 (my wife was in the hall June 16). The new goal was to do lap by June 20. God knows what we will face in life and gifted my wife and me accordingly. I think we both got 2 cups instead of one of stubbornness and a will to succeed. My wife was certainly showing this trait. I was very proud of her recovery accomplishments.

A social worker was introduced to us, it was a bit of a joke to be hooked up with an older lady, never married and no kids. We stuck it out for a while, but the gap only grew. It was hard for her to identify with where we were at. I encourage counselling, but I really think you have to have some connection with the counsellor.

 On Saturday June 18 my wife was quite nervous but wanted to see our precious daughter. My girl did one lap with a walker, ahead of physio’s goal. Upon the lap completion she said I did it, gave me thumbs up and said I am one tough chick. That she was! She also exclaimed that it is early yet and there is time to do more today. In the afternoon she did a 2nd lap, then visited and held our baby girl. The tracheotomy bandage was removed. At my wife’s request my younger brother and his wife visited briefly. She wanted to know how my sister in law had coped with drugs etc. during her hospital stay. She too had had a tough health journey too.

Psalm 121:2
New International Version (NIV)
My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment