Sunday 16 November 2014

what would Jesus do

If we are truly Gods and dead to self why do we do what we do? Its an interesting question to ponder. As I look at my own life I am reminded constantly of Gods goodness and provision. Still I find myself trying to be self sufficient, worrying through things when he already knows the outcome. It seems so silly and yet it can be so hard to let go and let God, and while so hard, it can be so freeing to give up control.
Do my every day actions reflect a life surrendered to God? Sadly they do not. There is always that tension between trusting God and thinking, well he did give me a brain, he must expect me to use it. It can be a slippery slope, because yes I think he does expect us to use our God given abilities, but when is that point where we say here it is Lord. How often do we go beyond that point and he gently reminds us that he has our best interests and his purposes in mind and that we only need to trust him.
Another aspect of a life surrendered is that we would want his vision, we would want to be part of his purposes. In every little circumstance we would want to be pleasing to him. That could mean being thankful in a time of blessing, it could mean trusting him during times of uncertainty and on an every day basis it could mean reminding our selves that in every situation we are to aspire to be Christ like. How do I know that the annoying situation placed before me is not an opportunity to show his love by forgiving, showing mercy, love or any of the other attributes of our savior. Its human nature to look at annoying circumstances as just that, but just maybe they are a great opportunity to show Christ rather than to be annoyed, frustrated and even in a mud slinging mode, "saying why did that idiot do that to me".
The saying "what would Jesus do" is really one we need to keep at the forefront of our everyday thoughts. He has a plan, he has purposes and it would seem to me that showing his love in the smallest and possibly annoying aspects of life is what he has asked us to do.
We tend to look for big ministry opportunities when he simple wants us to exude him in all aspects of our life.
I need to remind myself that instead of putting someone down for an act of stupidity, instead of being angry, jealous, etc., each and every circumstance I face is an opportunity to show his love.

1 comment:

  1. I admire your insight Scott, you are a true testimony of God's love. As I've watched you go through several trials you always give the glory to God and trust him. Even though we as humans want to do it our way, in our time you continually strive to honour Him. You know in your heart that He has a plan and His plan is perfect, you are open and honest with yourself and others in how you struggle as we all do. Keep being real! That's what Jesus would do!

    I love you, Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete