Saturday 17 November 2012

Could it be that we all mourn 100's of times in r lives

Could it be that we all mourn 100's of times in our lives. Is mourning for more than a death? Is mourning for the end of something, many things?

To mourn
verb (used without object)
1. to feel or express sorrow or grief.
2. to grieve or lament for the dead.
3. to show the conventional or usual signs of sorrow over a person's death.
verb (used with object)
4. to feel or express sorrow or grief over (misfortune, loss, or anything regretted); deplore.
5. to grieve or lament over (the dead).
6. to utter in a sorrowful manner.
 
Items 1 & 4 would suggest that mourning isn't just something associated with death, but that we could mourn over many things.

In the bible Samuel mourns for Saul who is still living, but is to be replaced as King. He mourns the end of his King ship.

1 Samuel 16:1
NewInternational Version (NIV)
The Lord said to Samuel, “How long will you mourn for Saul, since I have rejected him as king over Israel? Fill your horn with oil and be on your way; I am sending you to Jesse of Bethlehem. I have chosen one of his sons to be king.”
 
In modern times we may mourn the end of a marriage, relationship, friendship, career, health, what was, etc. Do we allow ourselves to mourn properly in this day and age, have I?  I certainly haven't wept as they did in the bible times.  David seemed to know how to mourn, he mourned the passing of Saul, his newborn son and his grown son.
 
2 Samuel 1:12
New International Version (NIV)
They mourned and wept and fasted till evening for Saul and his son Jonathan, and for the army of the Lord and for the nation of Israel, because they had fallen by the sword.
2 Samuel 12:15-18
New International Version (NIV)
After Nathan had gone home, the Lord struck the child that Uriah’s wife had borne to David, and he became ill. David pleaded with God for the child. He fasted and spent the nights lying in sackcloth on the ground. The elders of his household stood beside him to get him up from the ground, but he refused, and he would not eat any food with them.
On the seventh day the child died.
2 Samuel 19:1
New International Version (NIV)
Joab was told, “The king is weeping and mourning for Absalom.” 
 
In our modern culture we have a fairly defined process for mourning a death, we have a short visitation period (sometimes awkward), the funeral and then we are required by life to get on with things. Its no wonder people have problems, there is no time for grief, life beckons us, we must go on. Mankind must work you know! Feelings arn't that important.
Its the same whether we are mourning a death or a loss. Life requires us to move on and fast. If we miss work we may lose our job or at least an opportunity for advancement. Perhaps we cant afford to miss work. Life requires us to suck our feelings up and get on with it. Doctors prescribe pills that provide temporary relief all in the name of "get on with it". We get on with it, all the while living in pain, most of the time keeping it a secret. We don't give near the attention to our inner self when it is injured as we do our outer self when it is injured.
 
Back in 2001 my wife and I experienced a miscarriage, it was a big deal, we wanted a child badly and we were older so time was not on our side. I remember my wise mother encouraging my wife to mourn however she needed, whether it be to be a funeral or whatever. It was a loss and loss to be mourned.

My wife has experienced multiple health setbacks affecting her vision, walking and emotions. Could it be that she should mourn the losses and even the lost dreams for her life? I think its normal. Scripture seems to support it.

My cancer and the setbacks my wife and I have experienced have impacted  our lives both positively and with challenges. Could it be that we should mourn the losses including the loss of what could have been, our dreams, etc.

It sounds to me like it should be normal to mourn the end of something. Do we take the time to do this? I know I didn't with my dad. I went back to work, mostly because I didn't know what else to do.

Do we know what mourning is in our modern world, do we know how to mourn?

Hallelujah! What A Savior - Ascend The Hill

From the Inside Out--Hillsong United

Because He lives I can face tomorrow
 
 
 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment