Sunday 4 November 2012

The game of a lifetime.....

It was a team game. People all over the world played it. Like any other game some played it well and others not so much.

The game of the ages was on. There was what was known as the good team and the dirty team. It was in the 3rd period and team dirty was winning by one. Time was winding down. Some on the good team who were very talented were just going through the motions, they looked disinterested. This team should be able to win easily, they had an amazing coach. The coach expected everyone to buy into the team first philosophy. If they did that they could easily win over the dirty team. They had shown this in the past, but of late they looked in disarray. Some were trying to make plays on their own. The checkers were not checking. It looked like the players were not buying into their role and using their God given talent for the purpose of wining this game.

The interesting part of this game was everyone world wide was playing.  In fact the game is being played now. I am in it, you are, your neighbour is, your enemies are. Everyone is.

The other interesting part is you can pick your team. Its not like when we were little and it was decided for you and in some of our cases, we were picked last. You get to choose.

The abilities are given to you by your coach of choice, God or Satan. How you use them is up to you but the expectation is that you will go all out, that you will put in your best effort and that if you are on the good team it will grow and increase.

The prize, well its eternity!

There are many parallels between sport and the spiritual journey.

We as Christians have a lot of head knowledge, but what are we doing with it, what am I doing with it at work, home, wherever I am. What is my mission? Who will I serve? How far will I go for my Jesus?

In this information and self entitlement age, will I figuratively speaking choose to go into the corners and make a play. Or am I a pretty boy that doesn't want to get his hands dirty? Will I hang with the less fortunate or only with the cool? Will I serve or be served? Will I love or only care to be loved?

We are given some idea in the bible about how this game will end. We each have the choice to finish well and to be a beacon of light in the process?

Revelation 3:15-16

New International Version (NIV)
I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth.

1 Corinthians 9:24

New International Version (NIV)

The Need for Self-Discipline

Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize.

Tim Hughes - Living For Your Glory

Keith Green - Asleep In The Light

Hillsong - Open my Eyes

No comments:

Post a Comment