Monday 5 November 2012

Part 16 - My little lady's health journey continued...


On Saturday June 25 we arranged a call with my girls older brother out West. He called and had great difficulty with his emotions, he kept crying. He had been in when my wife was at her worst. He had seen his sweet little sister all swollen up from taking on fluids, completely unresponsive and fighting for her life.
I still had not let my girl in on all that had happened. This was something we wanted to do at the right time. The staff were a big help in coaching us along.
After the call my lady commented “I was close to death wasn’t I”, I said you were very, very sick! She responded with, so I am a miracle? I said yes you are and we both cried, tears flowed freely. It was a very emotional moment. She asked me how they know that the infection is controlled. I explained that they monitored skin redness, fever, vitals etc, none of which were showing up negatively. She asked me how many surgeries were required to remove infection, I said 4. We did lot’s of hugging and kissing (1st kiss on lips since May 12). She apologized for putting me through this, said sorry – I assured her that it was out of her control, not at all her fault, and told her I loved her. To date this it is something Satan provokes her with, with making her feel as though she sinned to deserve it. Some people have even quoted supporting scripture to her saying that she is paying for the sins of her ancestors sins. Its very interesting to experience what rubbish people will throw in your face. Even if one were paying for the sins of their ancestors, what possible good can come from saying that to someone? It makes me furious when people do that. What an insane cruel way to show empathy. Ya see, its getting me worked up.
 
On Sunday and Monday June 26&27 my lady was glum, she could not wait till the June 28 review of her graft, but she was not bitter or complaining – she was being a great testimony. Something we believe was Gods goodness, strength and grace shining through her.

On Tuesday June 28 as promised at 7am, my wife's handsome surgeon who made me feel threatened (teasing) reviewed the graft and announced that he was very impressed. He said that only a small area in the across the groin area had not healed but that it will heal on it’s own. He gave my special girl the green light to move as desired. She sat in a chair, put lounge clothes, real clothes on for 1st time. I enjoy shopping and had picked up several jammies for her. She walked with a walker and ventured outside for a bit. We talked about the surgeries she had. Her vision was continuing to improve. We had several visitors that day, my uncle, our awesome kids and our great neighbour.
The wheels were put in motion to go to Freeport Hospital for rehab.

On Wednesday June 29 my lady ventured outside in the morning with her mom, she visited with a neighbour lady in the afternoon and with her maid of honour in the evening. At physio`s urging my girl sat in the therapists Toyota Siena van. This was to test getting into a vehicle. The therapist and another floor 6 nurse were conniving up a plan. They did not see there being benefit in my girl going to Freeport. Freeport is a hospital that assists stroke victim's, etc. They were thinking like mothers, again God was at work through the staff. They knew that my girl had been apart from her kids for almost 2 months and that further separation would not be good, especially if there were other options. The surgeon gave the go ahead to do day passes to go home. At first my girl was apprehensive of my suggestion to try going home on July 1 but then to my surprise was telling others that it was her goal. You go girl!

I gained a real appreciation for hospital staff during this whole ordeal, but especially the females. They are the ones who act out care and really add the extra touch. They understand the emotional side so much better then men. The male staff are great in their area, they tend to be very factual, and nurturing is not typically their strong suit. The females also put up with a lot of crap.

Jeremiah 29:11

New International Version (NIV)
For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.


Matthew 6:8

New International Version (NIV)
Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.

Your love will find me - Brian Doerksen

Brian Doerksen, Refiner's Fire

 

No comments:

Post a Comment