Sunday 18 November 2012

Whats important? What is our purpose?

In our modern day have we lost perspective of what is important, family, friends, love, joy, peace, forbearance and kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control (the fruits of the spirit)? Have we become like a large assembly line going through its robotic motions? Generally we work, have our kids in sports or other activities, sleep and do it all over again and again and try and fit in some nicety's where we can.

The world longs for peace, but what is being done to attain it? Should it not start with "Love", with teaching our little ones what is important, "Love"?

What is most important to me, the job I can't take with me, or the people who will remember me, who I will have a legacy with? What will my legacy be, one that is/was self centred or one of love, giving and servant hood? Sometimes I am embarrassed of what it could be if it were based on my less than stellar performances.
If it's the people in my life, then perhaps being in touch with what is important and that can nurture those friendships should be critical to me as opposed to the self centred career goals, etc. that I might have. Perhaps that is where most of my time should be spent?

School doesn't teach our kids love, joy, peace, forbearance and kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. It doesn't teach the life fundamentals, they teach career fundamentals. So how do our kids learn these important things if we birth them and send them off to day care and then school where people we mostly don't know have the largest impact on their lives? When do they learn what's important? When do we invest in them? When do we spend quality time with them to teach them the things that are important? If we say family is important, but are always shipping them off to different functions and are rarely home ourselves, what message are we sending them?

If we care for our investments, which should be thse close to us, what are we doing to grow those investments? It is possible that those investments are growing at even a lower rate than the current low rates on our monetary investments. Do I/you know and practise the basics, love, joy, peace, forbearance and kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control? I fail many times, but that shouldn't stop me from trying!

Galatians 5:22-23a
New International Version (NIV)
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.
Matthew 22:37-39
New International Version (NIV)
Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbour as yourself.’

Great songs by Holly and Toby, have a listen .............

"Don't Have Love" Holly Starr

TobyMac - Me Without You

 Love Song - Third Day




 

No comments:

Post a Comment