Thursday 15 November 2012

worry in my life, my fears

We all have worries and fears. I have many. My fears growing up were heights. I am still afraid of heights. When I was a young boy my parents wanted to take me up the CN tower. I was determined not to go for fear that the tower would fall over. Another time one of my older siblings in all of his brilliance had put a ladder in the silo. He had done it to repair something, but getting it out was a challenge. He needed me to face my fears and crawl the silo ladder to help him. His recount of this is quite hilarious, but that's another story. Another time, yet another brilliant sibling was tasked with cleaning the eves trough on our old farm house. The eves were about 40 feet off the ground. He had me and my little brother hold a rope that was attached to him, while he ventured down the steep roof head first to clean the troughs. I had to face my fear of heights again. Again he too has quite a hilarious recount of this.

The point is we all have fears. Heights is just one of mine. Now that I have cancer and my wife is an immune compromised survivor of multiple bacterial infections, we have fear in our house. Fears that include our future, the kids future possibly without us, our financials if I pass before my wife, fear of flu in the house and what it could become for my wife and so on. Our son fears that he may lose his mommy, he remembers the torture of experiencing separation from his mom while she battled illness. Our kids have fears of being in another accident. Fear can grip us if we let it. It can paralyse us. People will quote scripture to calm anothers fears, what I think we all must remember is that fear is real. While there is nothing wrong with quoting scripture, I think we sometimes have the mindset that this is all that's required to rid us of fear. Getting over fear I believe is a process, a process supported by scripture. It's a process that may require us lovingly coming along someone who has fears and walking with them as opposed to quoting a verse and disappearing. Verses are great, but action and verses are even better.

Did the Israelites have no fear when they were tasked with walking around Gerico?
Did they have no fear when they left Egypt?
Do we think David did not fear for his life when his own son was hunting him down?
Did Peter not fear for his life when he denied Christ?

Fear is real and it's a process to give our fears over to God. It takes time or at least it does for me.

1  Peter 5:7
New International Version (NIV)
Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.


Why Worry Part 1 - Andy Stanley

Kari Jobe Find You On My Knees

No comments:

Post a Comment