Tuesday 27 November 2012

What is Joy? Can I have it all of the time?

What is joy anyway? If it is supposed to be our strength what should it be founded in? Sometimes it seems so evasive, so hard to achieve. How do I experience joy?  Is it in winning a hockey game, seeing my kids succeed, securing a promotion, or is it deeper and bigger than that? Is it something I should have regardless of circumstance?

Life for me can get pretty routine and lack joy, how about you?

Websters online dictionary says joy is:
the emotion evoked by well-being, success, or good fortune or by the prospect of possessing what one desires : delight
the expression or exhibition of such emotion : gaiety
a state of happiness or felicity : bliss
a source or cause of delight
 
Is true joy something that will last behind an experience like seeing my kids succeed or is it temporary and fleeting and highly based on my experiences? What is my well being based on?
 
If I were to base joy in my life on my experiences, I would not be on a steady diet of joy. From what I can see joy is both found in our experiences, but also in the Lord and the latter is of the lasting kind. If we are to be able to rejoice always, than perhaps true and lasting joy is only in the Lord.
 
Psalm 118:24
New International Version (NIV)
The Lord has done it this very day; let us rejoice today and be glad.
Nehemiah 8:10
New International Version (NIV)
Nehemiah said, “Go and enjoy choice food and sweet drinks, and send some to those who have nothing prepared. This day is holy to our Lord. Do not grieve, for the joy of the Lord is your strength.”
Psalm 21:1
New International Version (NIV) For the director of music. A psalm of David.
The king rejoices in your strength, Lord. How great is his joy in the victories you give!Thessalonians 5:16-18
New International Version (NIV)
Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.

Hillsong: "Exceeding Joy"


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment