Monday 3 December 2012

From hot, to sexy, to has been...

The reverse evolution from hot, to sexy, to has been, to old. We are all on a journey and most of us have experienced some sense of "I am cool" in our lives where we admire how we look.

Come on admit it:)!

As I get older I realize how fleeting appearance is and many experiences in life are. Gone are the days when I could admire how I look and in are the days of receeding hairlines and a potbelly that a bowl of popcorn nicely sits on.

I have seen many that are known for their appearance. Its their identity through out school, college and maybe beyond, and without it they are lost. We see this in Hollywood as star after star looks to enhance their appearance. As they age, their plastic faces no longer match their drooping figures. Men dispose of their aging wives for younger replacements. We are in a very, very appearance based world.

We appluad those like Mother Theresa whose identity was serving others, but few of us choose that path.

People try to enhance their appearances in may ways from how they look to what they have. I have done it. If I wear a ball cap I look younger. If I drive a nice vehicle, I may feel younger. A career change provides some satisfaction......tempararly.

Is this all wrong? If happiness is not found within, then perhaps our striving for appearance is not going to give us what we so desire, to fit in, to be accepted!!

So should I be striving for a sexy outward appearance or sexy inward appearance? Perhaps its all in our attitude, in our motive? Where does my joy come from? Does it come from a servants heart, a heart surendered to God?

1 Samuel 16:7
New International Version (NIV)
But the Lord said to Samuel, “Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The Lord does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.”
1 Corinthians 6:19
New International Version (NIV)
Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own;
Malachi 3:6a
New International Version (NIV)
I the Lord do not change.
Hebrews 13:7-8
New International Version (NIV)
Remember your leaders, who spoke the word of God to you. Consider the outcome of their way of life and imitate their faith. Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.
1 Peter 3:3
New International Version (NIV)
Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as elaborate hairstyles and the wearing of gold jewelry or fine clothes.
 

Just As I Am-Brian Doerksen

Just as I Am

 


No comments:

Post a Comment