Saturday 19 January 2013

hindsight is 20/20.......Gods vision is perfect

Hindsight is 20/20. What is 20/20, well its your vision, perfect vision is 20/20. When people remark that hindsight is 20/20, they are saying that when we reflect we can look back on what we have done with perfect vision and see what we could not see when we were in the middle of the situation.

While it may not be totally accurate, there is certainly truth to it. I know for myself I have been stuck many times, stuck in situations that I thought were hopeless. These situations have included ones with people at church, work, school, family, career paths, health situations, etc. When I say hopeless, I mean I could not see a way out.

In all of these cases I have been able to look back, sometimes years later, with 20/20 hindsight and see the situation more clearly than the pile of muck it seemed at the time. I was able to look back and see how I could have better handled it or why it seemed like God was silent in the situation. I was able to look back and see that he had a plan.

In the thick of things its hard to see sunlight, to see a way out, to see what God may have in mind. Its been very hard for my wife and I to understand what God may have in mind for us, why has he allowed what for us has been such hardship and pain. Its been hard for us to navigate some difficult turns in our lives. Figurativly speaking, on those sharp turns, where the road has become very narrow and hard to navigate, sometimes we have hit ditch at what has felt like highspeeds. We have felt banged up.

God has always been faithful and has carried us through, has brought us out of the ditch, even despite us and our mistakes. Many times we have thought that we knew better, that we knew how to navigate the tough spots, the complex situations. Always his plan has been better and yet each time we experience hardship it seems that we have to exhaust our own efforts to resolve the issue before turning to him. Before saying Let Go and Let God.

Does that sound familiar?

So when I look back with 20/20 vision I see the many errors of my ways. Fortunately for me I have someone on my side who sees things perfectly clear and wants to make my paths straight. He picks me up when I fall, He carries me when I am at my whits end and say here Lord, "fix this mess". He is my saviour and Lord.

Isaiah 55:8-9 (http://www.biblegateway.com)
New International Version (NIV)
8 “For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,”
declares the Lord. 9 “As the heavens are higher than the earth,
so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.
 
Proverbs 3:5-6 (http://www.biblegateway.com)
New International Version (NIV)
5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; 6 in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight.
 
Matthew 11:28-30 (http://www.biblegateway.com)
New International Version (NIV)
28 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

Kari Jobe - Steady My Heart


No comments:

Post a Comment