Wednesday 23 April 2014

God is willing to go before us - Joshua 23

In Joshua 23 Josh is bidding farewell, his days are near an end and he is giving his last speech of encouragement and caution.


Two things struck me when reading this, the first is in verse 10 when I am reminded of God's awesome power and how he goes before us and is willing to fight for us. How often do I allow him to do this though?


The second is in verses 11 to 13 where it is made clear what traps the Israelites were to avoid, but it doesn't just apply to them does it? When I think of my life, in this day and age there are so many traps that take me away from focusing on God. Being busy is certainly one of them, but the list can go on from wealth to lust to jealously and son on.


So the question is, what am I doing to remain focused on God? Even as I write this, I feel anxious about what I have to get done today, but isn't that taking away from my focus on God, is that a subtle item that is creeping in and posing a threat or am I willing to ask God to help me with busyness, to pave the way, to help me fight my battles whatever they may be?


Joshua 23:8-13 http://www.biblegateway.com
New International Version (NIV)
Joshua’s Farewell to the Leaders
. But you are to hold fast to the Lord your God, as you have until now.
“The Lord has driven out before you great and powerful nations; to this day no one has been able to withstand you. 10 One of you routs a thousand, because the Lord your God fights for you, just as he promised. 11 So be very careful to love the Lord your God.
12 “But if you turn away and ally yourselves with the survivors of these nations that remain among you and if you intermarry with them and associate with them, 13 then you may be sure that the Lord your God will no longer drive out these nations before you. Instead, they will become snares and traps for you, whips on your backs and thorns in your eyes, until you perish from this good land, which the Lord your God has given you.

No comments:

Post a Comment