Sunday 12 August 2012

The Olympics.....the spiritual kind

Aug 12 2012 FB post

The Olympics….many of us have watched at least some of them. We have seen the triumphs and the disappointments. It reminds me of another kind of Olympics. In 1985 I joined an Olympics by committing my life to Christ.
Our lives are many times like Olympic events. We experience highs and lows. We, figuratively speaking, get scraped knees, pulled muscles, etc. I feel for the hurdlers who fall, I di
d that and it really hurts. This past year I have felt like a runner running on fumes, and yet I am reminded of some important verses;

Proverbs 3:11/12 (perhaps we have fallen and need to be reminded that)
My son, do not despise the Lord’s discipline, and do not resent his rebuke, because the Lord disciplines those he loves, as a father the son he delights in

Hebrews 12:1 (perhaps we need to be encouraged)
Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us,

1 Cor 9:24
Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize.

2 Cor 12:9 (perhaps we need his grace and strength to continue)
But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness. ” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.

As Christians let’s run the most important race of our lives and encourage each other along the way. If a brother or sister drops the baton, let’s stop and help them pick it up.

Mathew 22:38/9 (perhaps we need others to help us along the way)
This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment