Monday 10 June 2013

when we dont get what we think we want, how do we behave

As children when we don't get what we want we stomp and pout. I did it, you likely did it and I know my children do it. If they don't get the IPAD time they think is critical to their little lives happiness, if they don't get friend time or TV time in abundance, they think life just isn't fair.

As parents we are responsible for what's best for them and sometimes we give them that sermon or at least I am guilty "you know kids God charged Mommy and daddy to oversee you and try to guide you in what's best for you". Usually this does not extinguish their desire for what they want, in fact it often has the opposite impact.

So while we tell our children that we know what's best for them and we expect them to trust us completely, is that the example we give them. What I mean is, I/we have a father in heaven that knows what's best for me/us. How often am I like my children stomping about in anger and frustration because I didn't get my way or do I always happily conclude that God knows what's best, accept that and go merrily hop skipping along. NOT!!

Is my trust in God as my father such that I realize, accept and have faith in the fact that he does know best and that he does always have my interests in mind. perhaps if it would be, I would be providing a better example to my children. I would be showing them what it is to trust my father in the way that I expect them to trust me and know that I only have their best interests in mind.

Proverbs 3:5-6 (http://www.biblegateway.com)
New International Version (NIV)
5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; 6 in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight.
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Scott, boy, this really hits home!

    and do you know what? I just prayed that verse with my daughter tonight as I tucked her in, realizing as I prayed that it that it was my own cry. I am so guilty of clinging with one hand and grasping with the other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its been so hard for me to Let go and let God, but I truly feel that he wants me to grow in that area and know what it is to trust him in all the day to day stuff too

      Delete