Sunday 2 June 2013

Is church a safe place?

Is church a safe place?

I have been reading lots over the last year on dealing with difficult times. Currently I am reading a great book called inside out by Larry Crabb. All these books and the bible point to the fact that people hurt. King David hurt, Jesus hurt and the list goes on and on. So just why is it then that society and church in particular seem to have little place for hurting people. Why do we feel the pressure to fake it, to make like all is well.

As I get older, real authentic people inspire me. People who are shallow and make like all is well when it just can't be, people that fake it, I feel sorry for them. They seem to prefer to hide or mask their feelings when their hurt is all too obvious.

What is sad is that the safe place, "the church" is often not that, the place where people should be able to be real is the place where the biggest mask is often put on. The place where people should be able to go to be loved is often cold and unwelcoming.

How did we get here, it certainly wasn't the example Jesus set for us. He was real, he cried out to his own father, he showed his emotions. He also set the greatest of all examples of how to love, loving freely.

Whens the last time I loved freely, when the last time I truly sacrificed my time to love someone, to support someone in need.

Am I doing my part to make church a safe place?

No comments:

Post a Comment