Saturday 18 January 2014

Ya gotta love sombody

What would you do with their personality and circumstances?


We people can be crude and downright mean. As I reflect on my own experiences and how I have responded to those around me, I wonder; What would I do with their personality and circumstances? Would I handle it better or worse? Here's the thing, how can we possibly know?




Our personalities are very complex and unique to each of us as are our circumstances. When we mix these 2 ingratiates together we get a unique blend that one cannot possibly completely identify with.


How many times do we still think we know best about someone else's situation? Not only can we not identify with the concoction that is ones personality and circumstance, another ingredient is how God has chosen to work in that person life. He may be allowing circumstances into their life to shape them that they would desperately like to avoid and maybe they would choose differently under normal circumstances, but if God wants to expose us to a lesson, he will.


I am not suggesting that our poor choices don't sometimes create our lesson learning experiences, but there are lots of examples of people who God schooled and not because they were disobedient. Moses and Joseph are just 2 biblical examples.


More and more as I get older I am seeing why the greatest commandment is love and that really everything else ties into it.


Matthew 22:37-40 (http://www.biblegateway.com)
New International Version (NIV)
37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’[a] 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’[b] 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”


If I truly love will I not give more of myself? There are so many opportunities to do so much and yet so many times I only do enough to complete my checklist. I may have a hurting friend and ask them how they are, check, I completed that. Or I may offer that same person a verse or a book. All this is good but is it enough or just enough to release my conscious? How often do I really try to empathise with that  person, be a listening ear and truly give of myself in love?


If I had love would I be so quick to judge someone else's personality, circumstance, etc.?


Love Knows No End - Hillsong
"Don't Have Love" - Holly Starr

No comments:

Post a Comment