Sunday 15 November 2015

Identity crisis

Many of us face an identity crisis. Who are we, what defines who we are? I have been considering this of late and can see that my joy often swings to the tune of the events in my life. Should my joy be based on what I experience or in who I am as a person saved by God's grace? Often I wallow in the mire that is work stress, health stress & worry, my kids challenges with friends and school and so on and so forth. It creates a real yoyo effect when my joy is based on such fleeting things.
As a Christian I know that God want me to find my Joy in my identity, which is a sinner saved by Grace (his sacrifice for my sins). My identity is that I am a child of God, not that I am a cancer survivor, what kind of dad or husband I am. This is not who I am, but rather are my experiences, which should flow through the filter of my true identity.
By definition Joy is ; a source or cause of great happiness : something or someone that gives joy to someone
By definition Identity is; who someone is, the name of a person

: the qualities, beliefs, etc., that make a particular person or group different from others
Below is a link from a pro basket ball concerning his identity;
"My Identity Is In Christ, Not In Basketball" -Jeremy Lin
When my experiences flow through the filter of who I am in Christ and the vast array of things he offers me to face life's situations, should I not have a sense of peace and joy in any situation. Should I not feel peace knowing God is at my side, and joy because he is working out his purpose in me. These are questions I ask myself as I deal with anxiety and fleeting joy. Yes I should be thankful for my recent good health check, but should that define who I am? Should my performance at work define who I am? Sadly I find that it often does and I believe that I seldom experience the Joy that I should because of my identity crisis and what defines me v.s. what should define me.
Here is what the bible has to say about my identity (https://www.biblegateway.com);
2 Corinthians 5:17New (NIV)
17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here!
Galatians 2:20 (NIV)
20 I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.
John 15:5 (NIV)
“I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.
Galatians 3:26 (NIV)
26 So in Christ Jesus you are all children of God through faith,
Colossians 3:(NIV)
23 Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters,
1 Corinthians 6:19-20(NIV)
19 Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; 20 you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies.
These verses describe who I am in Christ and what God desires of me. The following verse describes how God wants me to approach him when I am in crisis; Ephesians 3:12New (NIV)
12 In him and through faith in him we may approach God with freedom and confidence.



TILL I MET YOU" by Laura Story
He Will Not Let Go" by Laura Story (with lyrics)
Perfect Peace - Laura Story (lyrics)
Learning My True Identity In Christ with Rick Warren



No comments:

Post a Comment