Saturday 11 May 2013

saying goodbye to an uncle, he was a great man

Saying goodbye to family is never fun, since 1999 my wife and I have said good bye to 3 of my grandparents, 5 of my uncles, her great grandmother, her grandmother, her aunt and nephew. In 1992 I said good bye to my dad. It seems like enough, but we know that this is life.

The most recent has been my uncle Joe, he passed in his 75th year. I have so many good memories of all of these people who have passed on, but today it;s about uncle Joe.

My memories of uncle Joe go way back and include fun filled Martin family reunions where the uncles would play football with us.....what a blast it was, farm boy me spending a few days in the city at uncle Joe's......what a culture shock that was for me, Joe making trips up to our area when my dad was battling cancer,  Joe and his dear wife spending a night at our house when grandma passed......we enjoyed their company and the wine they brought, them visiting me in the hospital in 2005 when my wife battled flesh eating disease, Joe taking the time to call me to see how I was doing and just taking a general interest in me over the years.

Joe was a genuinely nice guy who deeply cared about people. He always called my mom on Christmas day, he would take her for dinner after dad had passed on, he was a true gentlemen!!

Joe had a great laugh, I have never heard one even remotely similar. It was his very own and the kind that you could not help but enjoy. It made the zd, zd , zd sound......very hard to explain in word, but it was awesome.

Joe will be greatly missed, but we take comfort in knowing that of those whom have gone before that have accepted Christs free gift, we will see again......certainly Joe will be one of them.

Love ya Joe....a new laugh has joined the heavens

Gaither Homecoming - When the Roll is called up yonder
Leann Rimes - Amazing Grace
Carrie Underwood with Vince Gill How Great thou Art
I'll See You Again Lyrics Westlife
Westlife - You Raise Me Up (With Lyrics)



No comments:

Post a Comment