Saturday 2 February 2013

A life without any frustration......

A life without any frustration, is it possible? If you have experienced difficulty in life, you quite possibly have had someone try to encourage you with bible verses, perhaps ones such as the below:

http://www.biblegateway.com
1 Peter 5:7
New International Version (NIV)
7 Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.
Psalm 55:22
New International Version (NIV)
22 Cast your cares on the Lord and he will sustain you;
he will never let the righteous be shaken.
Matthew 11:28

New International Version (NIV)
28 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.
 
If you are like me these verses can be encouraging for a time, but then what? Are they the magic that make all your problems go away? Some seem to think that quoting you a few verses and a song will wash all your woes away. For me it's not been that simple, life's challenges and frustrations don't just shrivel up and go away, in fact there seems to be future frustrations more than eager to be part of the pile I already have. It's like they are standing there jumping up and down saying pick me, pick me. So how does one deal with them all?
 
Some would suggest that Jesus will take care of all your troubles, some verses even support this. However like many subjects, it is important to read all of what the bible has to say. The bible seems to suggest that we should welcome them, like throw down the welcome mat and greet your trials with a big hug and a kiss, cause hey it's going to make you better.....
 
James 1:2-8
New International Version (NIV)
Trials and Temptations
2 Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters,[a] whenever you face trials of many kinds, 3 because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. 4 Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. 5 If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you. 6 But when you ask, you must believe and not doubt, because the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. 7 That person should not expect to receive anything from the Lord. 8 and unstable in all they do.

So it seems like rather than hoping for and expecting the easy life, if I truly believe in God, if I truly have a relationship with him, I should be turning these trials over to him so that he can be victorious, so that he can mold me into something better, not so he can simply give me what my human nature wants, happiness during my time here on earth.

Many of us have weights of hurt hanging around our necks, if you're like me you want a resolution, you want them washed away, but God seems to be saying that he wants to use them to make you better for his honour and glory. Paul had an infirmity that never left him. God used it to work through him. Perhaps it was an infirmity that required Paul to trust God to a greater degree on a daily basis. My wife and I each have one of those, hers with her limited vision and me with cancer.

It's not an easy task to say on a daily basis, have your way Lord, do as you will, work through me/us and our challenges according to your will and purposes. Use it for your honor and glory. It's downright hard at times.

No comments:

Post a Comment