Saturday 16 February 2013

How does that shoe fit anyway?

Our good neighbour and I were discussing life and peoples innate ability to critique each other and he made a comment I have heard many times "unless you have walked in that persons shoes, you don't really know what they are dealing with".

It really struck me, not only because I have felt so misunderstood as I deal with the aftermath of life's bumps and bruises, but as I view others. I am so quick to point out others flaws with no idea at all of what is behind the scenes, of what they are dealing with at home, at work, in their marriage, with their health, etc.

Perhaps the person who just had an uncharacteristic outburst just noticed a lump where lumps shouldn't be, perhaps they are dealing with financial uncertainty, family stresses, children stress's, etc.

Where is the love that I should show people when I only take the time to look at the result or the outcome instead of taking the time to get to know the person, to ask how they are doing, to care how they are doing?

A few times recently, people have passed on and characteristics were revealed at the funeral that were not common knowledge. These were good qualities.

Why do we spend so much time critiquing others and then wait for a funeral before we can acknowledge the good? Why cant we take time to invest in each others lives in a real and meaningful way while we are alive?

Can I/we take the time to invest, to sometimes try on another person's shoe in order to empathise with their struggles, to share in each others joys and sorrows and to portray less of the critical Mr or Mrs know it all or fix it all persona?

Can I love as Jesus did? Will I take the time to listen so that I can love?Will I take the time to understand so that I can love?

No comments:

Post a Comment