Sunday 14 April 2013

April 14 - 1 month after chemo (Scott)

How do I feel one month after a maintenance round of chemo, which I take every 3 months?

Its a journey for sure. Even today, at times I feel some tingling in my right hand, find it hard to focus, can't remember things, feel disoriented and feel like my emotions (mood) are off. These symptoms gradually lesson with each passing day and by the time I go for my next round, they will be at a dull roar. Possibly they are all exaggerated by my ongoing challenges with anxiety/depression which are worse during and after chemo.

Its taken time to accept my physical and mental limitations and to gain some understanding of how the process of treatment impacts me. Entering treatment in 2011 I had no idea what to expect. I have always been a fighter and someone who would throw himself at situations with reckless abandon. This is how I coped in the past. This is how I can no longer cope. I have some level of respect now if you want to call it that of how chemo affects me and of how life in general has impacted me. My treatment is kinda like having a scheduled bad flu 4 times a year (as opposed to every 3 weeks in 2012). Even now though with the lower frequency, I never really get to feeling great or like I used to. My physical and mental capacity isn't what it was. One of my learning's has been to try and keep a pretty low profile for at least the first month after chemo. If I have a curve thrown at me at work or in life in general, I just don't have the same capacity to deal with it. I tire quicker both physically and mentally and we all know what a tired person is like......you get it "irritable".

I imagine that drugs impact everyone differently, but I have always been a wimp with them. It doesn't matter if its a pain killer or sinutab, I just simply don't handle meds well. While chemo has been known to affect people physically in ways such as hair loss, for me it has had more of a mental impact. Again this could well be magnified by my anxiety/depression issues. A doctor I saw readily offered that of course chemo will have an impact on ones mental state, how could a poison entering your system to decrease the size of tumours, not have some impact on how you feel.

Its a humbling experience to feel like you just can't contribute the same as you used to or the way you would like. It's just another area that I have had to commit to God. My wife knows well how this is as she has had her vision impacted by a disease she didn't ask for. She knows well what it is like to look normal, have people expect normal, but not be able to always do normal. She is my inspiration, just a great person who has persevered through much.

Still I am very grateful for how it all has gone and for the well being that God has allowed me/us. As a Christian I know that he doesn't owe me anything.

Currently I am reading a book by DR Larry Crabb. He talks a lot about humans ongoing struggle to understand and deal with their feelings and experiences. It's been a good read for me.

Am I allowing God to heal me from the inside out or am I coping by suppressing, distracting or trying to be a better person/Christian? How are you coping? Am I real and authentic, are you?

Kari Jobe - The more I seek you (Lyrics)

No comments:

Post a Comment